Monday, October 6, 2008

With friends like these.....

Well it finally happened! I'm having a hard time talking to my friends with children. Up until now It really hasn't bothered me discussing my friend's children. They are all wonderful...And that hasn't changed. And who knows I may just be becoming more sensitive about it. But I just feel like I'm the fifth wheel when these discussions come up.


We were over a friends house on Saturday evening with another couple. These are people I have been friends with since high school and I love them very much. But I really felt left out. Both couples have children...One has two wonderful boys the other an adorable son. While they were discussing the joys of parenthood I found myself bringing up my sisters kids or the subject I said I would never replace children with. MY CATS!!! We have two wonderful cats..Barnes & Noble. We love them very much but it is depressing that I'm actually pulling out kitty stories when they discuss their kids. Their is no comparison. And considering the only other subject I have in my life right now is our IVF cycles (which seems to silence the room and ends any flow of conversation especially with this group)I'm starting to feel like I shouldn't bother.

I refuse to lose friends over this!!! Infertility is really temporary...It's effects last forever but when I'm 60 it really won't be an issue. If we can't get pregnant on our own we will be adopting and these are the people I look forward to being part of our children's lives. But right now...It's very depressing.

2 comments:

Christi said...

funny, I just said to my husband over the weekend, I feel so left out, as if all this IVF crap isn't enough, it makes me feel left out of things as well.

here's hoping we both move on from this VERY soon!

theworms said...

I hope you get to move forward very soon, it is so tough to be around people.

I gave you a little something on my blog, I hope it makes you smile :)